My Teacher is a Student

Follow the adventures of your teacher as she takes a semester off and becomes a part-time college student.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Why You Should Sit in the Front Row

I can't believe that I am writing about this but I learned a really good lesson. I already told you about making sure you read the material the teacher assigns for the course (REALLY READ IT) and about being totally prepared for your classes. SIT IN THE FRONT ROW OF THE CLASS! Why am I telling you to do this? Let me explain.

First, you should understand that many times when teachers are in classes or workshops, we usually sit in the back. We don't want to always participate and it's a good place to be when we are bored. We can doodle or tune out without the teacher or workshop leader noticing. When I went to my literature class last week, I sat in the front row because that's where I saw an empty seat. Well, I noticed that I was sitting up straight, making eye contact with the professor, really focusing on what he was saying and taking lots of notes. When he assigned us a paper and I asked him a question, he recommended that I get the notes from someone in the FRONT ROW! He said those were the people who knew what was going on. Whoa! The front row is recognized as the "elite" row. Those students have a reputation of being on the ball! I was one of them today!

When I sat in for the first class, I, as usual, picked a seat in the back row. I didn't want to look over anxious. I wanted to look cool. Looking back on that day, I realized what a difference there was regarding my focusing. I'm not a person who gets easily distracted but the man sitting next to me was munching on peanuts and the smell was making me sick! I kept sending him messages telepathcally to stop eating. This took my attention away from the professor. Then a boy sitting in front of me was sporting a "handyman's special" that turned my stomach. Again, I lost my focus therefore I lost some noteworthy facts from the teacher. Do you see where I going with this?

I had a paper due on Wednesday. I handed it in today. I needed to get it out of the way. I lucked out on my history class. She assigned reading last week that I completed but told us it was due this Thursday. I was ahead! I answered questions! Class participation...another important factor that is calculated into your grade. Try it!

Remember, try sitting in the front row and participate! Anticipate what the teacher will be doing next or ask him or her. Get ahead. I wish I knew all this stuff when I was younger.

Be well everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home